Re: crappy schedular in 2.4.18?

On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 00:01, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 20:57, David N. Welton wrote:
> >
> > My tibook becomes almost unusable interactively when there is a lot of
> > disk activity (dselect unpackaging things, anacron running the find
> > job).  What's up with this?!
>
> First of all, check with hdparm that your HD is set up reasonably. It
> should at least be using DMA and unmasking IRQs.

I see that unmasking IRQs is disabled on my machine (I'm using the
default settings, so only DMA it seems). Is unmasking IRQs dangerous at
any time ? Is it dangerous when having 2 devices on the same IDE channel
(both CD-Rom and HD are on the first channel on this machine) ? And if
it's not dangerous at any time, why isn't it enabled by default ? ;)

"We need some IDE experts here" ;)

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera