Re: Considering moving to Debian PowerPC

On Fre, 2002-12-27 at 11:28, Arnaud wrote:
> Le vendredi, 27 déc 2002, à 08:05 Europe/Paris, Andrew Nesbit a écrit :
>
> > * How does the benh kernel differ from the official kernel?
>
> It's a compiled kernel for iBook series (quite different from the
> Titanium).

You seem to think of specific binaries, not the benh kernel tree per se,
which is the tree of the PowerMac Linux kernel maintainer and thus
geared at PowerMacs in general. It offers much better hardware support
than the 'official' kernel tree, in particular for newer Macs.

> > * This TiBook has a Mobility Radeon 7500; am I able to get DRI and all
> > associated goodies working under XFree86?
>
> The DRi exists for XFree86 4.1 but is still EXPERIMENTAL....

It only works with my packages or as of 4.3.0, but then it works as well
as on i386 or anywhere.

> > * How well does power management work (idle CPU, sleep/suspend, etc)?

The biggest caveat is still that sleep doesn't work with the M7 yet.