Monitor won't sync

I just installed woody on my Beige G3 minitower.  I originally installed
from CD but was having trouble reading the CD so not everything was there.
I was able to get X up with kde but some of the package were broken.  So I
took the computer in to work where I had net access and installed from
there.  Everything went great and I was able to run beautifully.  But then
I went home and tried to run using my smaller 15" monitor (although at work
I had set the monitor to 800X600 to match myhome machine) Now my monitor
won't sync when I try to start X. (Behind the wavy lines I can see the
login dialog dancing across the screen.) I looked in the XF86Config-4 file
and everything seemed within spec.  I even tried dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86 but no go.  Is there something else I should try?  Some
other config file?

Thanks,

Ken Richards