Re: can't get X to work on ibook

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 05:21:20PM -0500, Nirmal Govind wrote:
> Hi.. I just got the new ibook (released in Nov) which has the ATI Radeon
> 7500 32MB card (12.1" screen). I've seen some posts on this list from
> others who haven't been able to get this card to work properly but have
> been able to get X to work.. I can't even get to that point
> unfortunately.. this is the error that I get when I do startx:
>
> (WW) ATI:  PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 0:16:0 could not be detected!
> (EE) No devices detected.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> The 0:16:0 setting was the default that was offered during the install
> so I assumed it was right.. is this the problem (one of the problems)?

You should probably post your config. You want to enable the framebuffer,
to start with I believe. For the pci bus ID, use lspci and then convert
from binary to decimal.

e.g.

00:10.0 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 RL

equals 0:16:0

|                  To HAVE, GIVE all TO all (ACIM)               |