Re: PowerPC kernel repository (was: Woody on IBM RS/6000 7025 F50)

> > Following the various install attempts on IBM hardware documented in
this
> > mailing list, for a given architecture, it is clear that we have been
using
> > kernels of different origin. It appears to me that we would benefit
from
> > having a kernel repository with pre-compiled kernels. I know how to
compile
> > a kernel; however, I prefer to use pre-compiled kernels that have been
> > built by people that fully understand the requirements for which source
> > tree to choose, patches to apply, compiler versions to use, etc. This
way
> > we are all working with a common set of kernels.

> > Does this sound like a reasonable request?

> > If so, could someone create the following URL:
> > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/disks-powerpc/current/
> > with the following sub-directories:
> > prep
> > chrp
> > power3
> > ppc64
>
> The disks-$(ARCH) directories were maintained through this awful mess of
> scripts relating to boot-floppies, which is a codebase we've retired.
>
> Given that debian-installer (our next generation installer) is still
> under active development, it's a bit early to be thinking about new
> scripts for maintaining a disks- directory.  How about using
> penguinppc.org?  It seems like a good place to coordinate this sort of
> thing (at least for now), especially given that there are other
> GNU/Linux systems which run on powerpc (although I don't know why you'd
> use them =) ).
>
> I guess you want to send an email to webmaster@penguinppc.org, or just
> catch sourdough or jeramy on irc.openprojects.net #debianppc.

The penguinppc.org site has a link from:
http://penguinppc.org/dev/kernel.shtml
to:
http://hozed.org/

The latter site has pre-compiled kernels for some of architectures, but not for kernel 2.4.xx.

I have already e-mail the owner: Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@drgw.net>, regarding this issue.

Maybe if we all gang up on him, we can convince him that this is a good idea. ;-)

Rolf

--
Rolf Brudeseth
rolfb@us.ibm.com