Re: Woody on IBM RS/6000 7025 F50

Hi people,

Further to my previous message below, the Debian installer startup screen
does appear, though you have to wait about fifteen minutes...

Can anyone suggest why, after working perfectly up to the "freeing unused
kernel memory" point, the console becomes so slow?

Now I'll wait another half hour and see whether I can actually interact
with it...

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, George Karaolides wrote:

> After a point, output to the console becomes extremely slow, and the
> installer still doesn't start:
>
> --- Begin bootup messages ---
>
> Freeing initrd memory: 1440k freed
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 236k init 24k pmac 8k prep
>
> --- End bootup messages ---
>
> From this point on, the console output becomes extremely slow.  The
> following lines are seen:
>
> --- Begin really slow console output ---
>
> serial console detected.  Disabling virtual terminals.
> init started:  BusyBox v0.60.3-pre (2002.01.19-22:40+0000) multi-call
> binary
>
> --- End really slow console output ---
>
> From this point on, the cursor very slowly continues to advance across the
> screen, but nothing else is seen.

Best regards,

|   George Karaolides                      Planitis Communications Ltd.,  |
|   tel:   +357 22 45 65 00              Office 102, 11 Florinis Street,  |
|   web:   www.planitis.net                             Nicosia CY 1065,  |
|   email: george.karaolides@planitis.net           Republic  of Cyprus.  |