Re: Updated XFS enabled boot-floppies (and oldworld fix)

On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 22:42, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 02:54:13PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >
> > That's not related to file corruption or the XFS patches, is it? I'm
> > mainly interested in that.
>
> sorry didn't look at what you were referencing in my mail.
>
> the problem was XFS not marking some blocks added to a file as new,
> causing extraneous garbage to show up at the end of a file, but only
> if you read the file via mmap() (gcc 3.1 does this, and thus reports
> syntax and other errors in lines which apparently do not exist. any
> program which uses mmap on files will malfunction).

Ah, that might explain the weird problems I've seen with gcc 3.1.

> there is a utility to check for files with this problem and repair
> them, i made a couple minor enhancments and bugfixes to it:
> http://penguinppc.org/~eb/files/mapcheck.c
>
> to scan but not repair run mapcheck -n -v -a  to repair remove the -n
> switch.

Looks like it's taking a couple hours to scan my / and /boot filesystems.
:/ I assume the files should only be repaired when running a fixed kernel?

> the bug first appeared in later 2.4.18 CVS snapshots, and was fixed
> there a couple weeks later, it reappeared sometimes in the 2.4.19-pre
> stages in XFS CVS (definitly including -rc2 through final 2.4.19 split
> patches) its currently fixed in CVS, or i have the standalone patch
> against 2.4.19+split patches if your like my and prefer to stay at
> known snapshots.

I do, so I'd appreciate if you could make the patch available. I looked
through your files section but couldn't find it.