Sound control on TiBook G4

Hi peoples,

Anyone know how to control the volume of the sound output on these
TiBooks. I presume it's probably the same method for all the iBooks, but
just in case, I'm running a Powerbook G4 800.

Sound works fine, it's just the volume control that's a bit glitchy. If
using xmms for example, the volume control on that does absolutely
nothing.

I tried using gmix, it seems to do the job fairly well, but it is very
touchy, once the sound gets to a certain point it goes all distorted,
and most of the time it unbalances the channels for some reason.

Ideally I'd like to be able to do it with some sort of shell command so
that I can bind it to a key or something in X. But if there are commands
to do it I can write my own script for this.

cheers
Danial.
--
Don't blame me, it's a hardware problem.

GPG encryption key : http://danial.customer.netspace.net.au/public.key