Re: X getting close (was X won't start)

At sometime around 3:54 PM -0600 on 6/18/02, Marc Stergionis wrote thus:
At sometime around 9:47 PM +0200 on 6/18/02, Michel Lanners wrote thus:
On  18 Jun, this message from Marc Stergionis echoed through cyberspace:
Somehow your default keymap got changed. Check out

http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/keycodes

 Well I kinda went nuts and did a clean install of 2.2r6 and X worked
 right out of the gate.

Hmmm... Any specific reason to do that? It seems like a big step
backwards to me..

Me too, but (under woody) my keycodes were a mess, display seemed off (of course it seems to be off now, too) and Chris pointer to solve the keycodes problem could *not* be accessed on my second machine (Mac OS X) although I could get it to the point of www.debian.org/ports/powerpc ... don't know why

Since I could still work on the G4 while letting Debian install on the 8600, I figured what the heck ...

Oh yeah, now I remember the main reason ... I just went ahead and *did* reupgrade the 8600 from 2.2r6 to woody.

When I type

startx

it says

xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): no server "X" in PATH

Use the -- option, or make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin is in your path and that "X" is a program or a link to the right type of server
for your display. Possible server names include:

XFree 86    XFree86 displays

giving up.

xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error.

???

-ms
--
Many have Montana envy ... the lucky get to live here!
Marc Stergionis