Re: Xfree-4.2.0-0pre1v1 and dri FREEZE

On 16:57, martedì 18 giugno 2002, you wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 14:32, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > >Hi all. I've installed xfree4.2.0 on my pismo.
> > >- Recompiled the last benh kernel (2.4.29-pre10).
> > >- Starting X with my old XF86Config-4 freezes the machine.
>
> When exactly? What happens?

The machine completely freezes after 3-4 seconds X started.
On the screen appear, on the bottom half, the gray X background.
If I CTRL+ALT+BS within 3-4 seconds I can shutdown X. But after this time the
machine freezes completely. (I can't even ping it)

> > >- Reading the log it looks like everything works fine.
> > >- With xfree-4.1.0-17 (sid) it worked perfectly.
> > >- Removing GLcore, dri, glx, pex5 and xie X works (but with lower
> > > quality).
>
> Probably only dri is relevant for this problem.

I'll try and then I'll post the results
What sounds strange is that the log do not complain on anything. And from a
log point of view dri works perfectly.

> > >Any idea? I've attached the XF86Config-4.
> > >Thank you all (in advance) for any hints.
> >
> > I've got other similar reports, it seems that XFree 4.2 DRI driver will
> > lockup with the RageM3 where 4.1 worked (with DRI and without AGP, of
> > course AGP isn't stable neither).
>
> Strange, I think it used to work for me.
>

> PS: Egidio, is it really so bad that you have to shout the 'freeze'? ;)
> These are experimental packages, after all.

I know that. In fact I'm not complaining. I'm only trying to give a little
help (i'm just sorry I can't give a solution:-))

egidio