Re: X getting close (was X won't start)

On  17 Jun, this message from Marc Stergionis echoed through cyberspace:
> At sometime around 8:41 AM +0200 on 6/15/02, Michel Lanners wrote thus:
>>Try my attached XFconfig. It's for control on a 7600.
>>
>>Substitute my Dell Monitor with yours, and make sure to correct the
>>horizontal and vertical frequency range.
>
> Thanks Michel.
>
> I think I'm close. startx seems to want to restart the monitor under
> X but maybe having mouse trouble.

> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
>        No such file or directory
> (EE) Configured Mouse; cannot open input device
> (E) PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
> (WW) No core pointer registered
> No core pointer

> This 8600, of course, has an ADB Mouse II mouse, should that be
> entered anywhere in Input Devices?

No.

> Input devices had two sections for mice:
>
> "Configured Mouse"
>
> and
>
> "Generic Mouse"
>
> I have commented out "Generic"

That's debconf-generated XFConfig. Doesn't do any harm.

> what do I put in /dev/input/mice to make this work.

as root# cd dev; ./MAKEDEV input

> Potato 2.2r0 upgraded to Woody.

Strange; input devices should have been created then...

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |