Re: Booting PowerMac G3 OldWorld....

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 03:30:14PM -0500, Corey Kovacs wrote:
> I've seen several postings dealing with booting PowerPC's and have seen
> several very helpful hints. So far however, I've had no luck booting into an
> installed Debian system.
>
> Swap is installed on /dev/hda8
> root is on /dev/hda9
>
> after "making the system bootable" I execute a shell and execute
> #nvsetenv boot-device `ofpath /dev/hda9`
>
> then reboot the system and get this message.
>
> can't OPEN: /pci/mac-io/ide@20000/ata-disk@0:9
>
> over and over again.
>
> Anyone have any pointers? did I leave something out of the process?
>
> All help appreciated...
>

> Corey

There was a bug in ofpath at one point which resulted in it returning
garbage (invisible) characters on some machines. Try setting the path
in OpenFirmware with setenv boot-device manually, also try with :0
as well as :9 , and if those don't work try devalias to see if you
can substitute an alias for part of the path.