Re: C500 boot problems (need working vmlinux.coff for Supermac)

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 05:39:09PM -0500, mdfranz@io.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The standard first phase of the install on Supermac c500 goes fine, but
> I'm having difficulty booting off the floppy to continue the rest of the
> install due to normal old-world issues.
>
> On a 7500 where I ran into this problem, I stole a 2.4.12 suse
> vmlinux.coff and (after setting proper nvram boot-device/boot-file) was
> able to reboot and continue the install and then used this as my normal
> floppy boot. On the C500 instead of getting kernel messages all I see is
> wavy pixels after the monitor clicks back on. I haven't tried a serial
> line, but I'm not hearing any disk activity so I doubt think init is
> kicking off.
>
> I also tried cross-compiling the latest benh 2.4.19pre10 and got the same
> result. So I don't know if this is a vmlinux.coff booting problem or
> something specific with the kernels I've been using, since the debian hfs
> boot (2.2.19) works fine.

One possibility (I assume booting from the hard disk with quik just
doesn't work?) is patching the hfs floppy image boot arguments. There's
a script for this at

http://cvs.debian.org/boot-floppies/powerpc-specials/miBoot/patch-floppy-image.pl