Re: fickle backlight goes off permanently

On Sat, Apr 20, 2002 at 08:25:27PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-04-20 at 18:05, Ali Bahar wrote:
>
> > the backlight of my ibook has become increasingly fickle over the last
> > 10 days. It turns off with slight movements or with slight tilts of

> I had what sounds like the same problem with my TiBook.  I eventually
> sent it to Apple repair, and it took them about two weeks to get back to
> me, but they did fix it (under warranty).

Thanks much.

Two issues:

  - this does not happen under osx. So I can just imagine the tech
    support going, 'we don't support linux', and claiming that there's
    nothing wrong with it (because it works on osx).
    If their hardware tests are thorough enough, they may stumble onto
    it, though;

  - osx is handling this. I'd like linux to do so as well. I'm not
    sure if the driver writers had access to the full specs. But,
    either way, this may be an opportunity to fix a problem. Before
    getting the hardware fixed, we may have an opportunity to debug
    the symptom.

> One important thing to know is that despite the fact that I specifically
> asked them not to touch the hard drive, they still wiped it clean.  Make

I feared as much. :-) I'd intended to backup all my stuff, but I don't
enjoy going thru the dual-boot setup again. But then, practice makes
perfect.

thanks,
ali
--
"One of the great attractions of patriotism -- it fulfills our worst
wishes. In the person of our nation we are able, vicariously, to bully