UPDATE: when using XDM, lose mouse/kbd when logout

(cross-posting to debian-powerpc, since this *may* be Mac specific)

update below, to provide context.

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Paul F. Pearson wrote:

> Configuration:
>  Woody, Macintosh 7500 w/G3 card, flwm window manager
>
> Problem:
> When I use XDM to log in, everything seems fine, although the Xmessage
> window does show up. THe only error mentioned is
>   "modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-6"
> Everything works fine in X, until I logout via the menu. When the login
> screen comes back, I can no longer use my mouse or enter a username. I
> *can* do a ctrl-alt-F2 to bring up a virtual console (doing that right
> now).
>
> This only happens when I use XDM. If I disable XDM, then I see no
> problems. I don't see the "can't locate char-major-6" error, but grepping
> for it in the logs shows that I've been getting it for some time.

When I switch back to the X screen from the virtual console, all works
well. In other words, when I log out, I can ctrl-alt-F2, ctrl-F7 and
everyting works wonderfully. Is my setup messed up somewhere?

--
Paul F. Pearson (ppearson@hiwaay.net)     http://home.hiwaay.net/~ppearson/
"Lord heal our land. Father heal our land. Hear our cry and turn our nation