booting powebook g3 wallstreet with quik (help!)

Hi!

I have installed debian potato on a powerbook g3 (wallstreet) but i cant figure out how to make the system boot from the hard drive! This is my first experience with powerpc platform so I really dont have a clue how to do this. I read documentation for quik but when trying to install i get
the error message
Fatal error: Couldnt locate partition 2 on /dev/hda

I have the following setup (booting from cdrom for now)
/dev/hda1 30MB boot partition ext2fs (not used, empty)
/dev/hda2 2GB root partition ext2fs marked bootable

partitions created with cfdisk and mke2fs used on them

my quik.conf:
root=/dev/hda2
timeout=20
image=/boot/vmlinux
label=Linux
read-only

I read something about setting OF variables, but dont know if and how to do so!
Anyone willing to give a short step by step explanation of how to set things up?

Thanks in advance!