Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 00:11:08 +0100
To: dpates@dsdk12.net (Derrik Pates)
From: Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Mounting floppy (or not) - Debian 2.2r5 for ppp (potato)
Cc: debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org, Maggie
Bcc:
> >Which Mac model are you running Linux on? If, as you claim, you're using
> >the stock kernel image from nubus-pmac.sf.net, that would seem to
> >indicate its floppy controller is something other than the SWIM3.
>
> Mac PowerPC 8100/80

Do you see anything if you run 'dmesg | grep SWIM'?

No.  'dmesg | less' listed the devices but I can't see anything resembling a floppy, SWIM or fd0; however I can see the two scsi hard disks and the CDRom.

I've just booted up on the MkLinux partition and 'mount /dev/fd0 gives the same error '/dev/fd0 has the wrong major or minor number' but 'dmesg | less' doesn't list any of the drives except for:
Mach root device sd1l: major=8 minor=28

The floppy works fine on the Mac side

Thanks

--
Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN

--

Clive Menzies & Associates Limited
strategies for business