Re: bootstrap 2 linux systems

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 01:17:21PM -0500, Mark T. Valites wrote:
> I recently partitioned up my first generation ti-book for OS9,X,yellow
> dog, & woody.  I'm not sure how to properly set up the bootstrap(s) &
> yaboot.conf(s) to boot both of the distros.  I currently have one
> bootstrap partition (installed with yellow dog) that lists the yellow
> dog partition, OS9, & OS X as bootable options.  I  can get it to boot
> to my debian partition by using a kernel from the yellow-dog partition,
> and passing it the "root=/dev/hdaX" arg.  However, this just doesn't
> sound like the right way to do it.  If I remove the yellow dog kernel
> (rm -rf /my/kernel - oops....), then I can't boot to the debian
> partition.  I tried installing a second bootstrap partition & making the
> first point to that, but I've had no such luck so far.  Any ideas on the
> proper way to do this?

This seems to be a very normal kind of thing to do; have you tried just
putting a second image label in the yaboot.conf? You can make the
root= different in each label, as well as the kernel location. If you
check out the yaboot.conf man page, there's even a way to have it accept
a single letter at the boot: prompt to pick one label or the other.

So, you would type l for linux at the Boot Menu, then say d for debian
at the boot prompt. Or y for Yellow Dog if you _must_.