Re: How to switch between virtual terminals on PowerBook?

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 12:49:18AM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 15:51:16 -0500, Brian Victor wrote:
> > I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned this before, but have you
> > tried the aforementioned keystrokes with [left] option instead of the
> > apple key?  For my pismo, the apple key seems worthless, and I have to
> > use the option key for meta.
>
> Perhaps this worked in the past. But to emulate the 2nd and 3rd mouse
> buttons, I had to use the two keys at the right of the space bar. The
> problem is that one of these two keys (the right option key) generates
> the same code as the left option key (is there a way to fix that?).

I think it's hard-wired to be the same.

> Thus the left option key also emulates a mouse button and I can't use
> it to switch the virtual console for instance.
>
> > On my pismo, opt-fn-F* switches terminals from console mode, as does
> > opt-left/right.  From X, opt-ctl-fn-F* does the trick.
>
> Here, from X, I can use the apple key instead of the option key.

So that's why it's not working, you've redirected the Option key.

If you really need to do that, (I use F11 and F12 for mouse buttons
instead), then you'll have to switch to the mac-usb-us keymap. That's
the map where Apple-Command=Meta instead of Alt-Option=Meta which is
where the default mac-us keymap puts it. You can use dpkg-reconfigure
console-data to get a nice organized list of keymaps to choose from,
and loadkeys if you want to try one out first before changing the
default.