Re: Sax2 revisited

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 17:26, Dimitris Dimitriadis wrote:
> I notived from the debian-powerpc archives that there's been some
> discussion about porting suse's sax2 to debian. Did this discussion lead
> to some kind of resolution?

I don't recall that discussion, any pointers in the archive?

> One reason to port would be that sax2 seems to be very easy to use, and
> allows explicit resolution settings (I've had problems with my woody
> installation and setting my TiBook's screen size), so I imagine that
> having a tool for this may help.

I question the need to port any tool for this specific problem. Even if
there's other things sax2 might do better than the current Debian X
infrastructure (and xf86cfg - what exactly does sax2 do better?), I'm
not sure if the differences between the Debian and SuSE environments are
reasonably resolvable.

As for the specific problem of the native resolution of TiBook panels,
I've toyed with the idea of integrating a mode for it into the X server,
but I'm not sure if that makes sense; the other built-in modes are
either VESA standards or used on a wide range of machines, and ideally
the mode should be probed from the panel anyway.