Re: Audio CDs in xmms on ibook2 2001 600Mhz

On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 18:38, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 benh@kernel.crashing.org wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure it's worth hacking much in the horrible mess that is
> > the current dmasound_pmac. 2.5 is bringing the Alsa driver in which
> > has already been split, I'm wondering if we shouldn't go the same
> > way for what remains of 2.4 lifetime and split dmasound as well.
>
> Sounds reasonable.  I'll have to look at the 2.5 tree since I haven't seen
> Alsa driver sources in awhile.

Or check out the CVS tree at
:pserver:anonymous@cvs.alsa-project.org:/cvsroot/alsa

> BTW, I'm still getting white noise on CD's with xmms (tried with
> two CDs today, using sid xmms).  I'll have to go on a debugging-fest to
> find out what's going on, I suppose, since I'm apparently the only one
> this is happening to.

You're right that it doesn't have any byte-swapping code, but it marks
the data as little endian, so apparently the OSS output plugin swaps the
bytes (not the crossfade plugin though). Maybe your drive delivers big
endian data?

Anyway, xmms-cdread needs to be fixed to always convert the data to
native byte order, if only for the EQ to work (not that we need the xmms
EQ :).