PowerMac 4400 LIVES!

Well, Debian made it onto the PowerMac 4400, but it's a wierd little
critter. It exhibits some behaviours not documented for this
architecture.

> That's the fdisk from the Debian installer? I've had reports on kernel
> crashes on some newer iBooks with mac-fdisk but never from older hardware
> I'm afraid.
Yep, during the second install attempt, I ran fdisk from the console,
and it kernel panic'd  clearly when I told it to write the table.  But
it finished writing first, I was able to reboot and continue.

> > up....and....my ethernet card has spontaniously died.
>
> Tried zapping PRAM again?

Twice.  Then, going over 'things which had changed between when card
worked and now'  I realized that I had gone from macos 9.1 => 8.6 when I
wiped the HD.  So I booted 9.1, cause I couldn't think of anything else
to do.  The NIC came back to life under 9.1 cd, and subsequent
install...but not 8.6.  I have have no fscking clue how this is
possible, but it's repeatable. Boot 9.1, see link lite on hub.  Boot
8.6, no link light. Who cares...it works in debian, and now prolly won't
be rebooted for months/years.

The last baffling bit is the failure of quik to work.  Debian installed
it, and the machine would't boot until i zapped the PRAM.  Subsequent
attempts to install it have had no result. I installed from the command
line in debian, but it booted straight back to MacOS.  I think the
trouble may be with the arrangment of my partition table...docs say root
should be the first partition, bet there are a couple others listed
ahead, Apple Disk Driver or somesuch.  I dunno what they are really, so
I left them, as they were small. Any ideas?

Happy I am, though.  It is otherwise working fine.  Seems like, well,
debian, but the machine is cuter :)