Re: Open Firmware - what can I do with it?

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 10:11:20PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 05:59:35PM +0100, Florian Friesdorf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wonder where documentation to Open Firmware could be found.
> >
> > I'm now able to calculate with Open Firmware, do a network boot, or
> > similar stuff. But isn't it possible to erase the partition table from
> > with OF, for example?
> >

> Obviously you missed that when you were carefully studying the howto.

Ok - now I have read all the Documentation at penguinppc.org/projects/
except for the Quik Documentation, the XFree86 Status (not needed yet)
and parts of the Open Firmware Technotes linked by the Yaboot
Documentation, because I think they won't help me at the moment.

I know a little more of my ibook now, but I'm still not able to delete
the partition table of my harddisk with Open Firmware commands.

It is possible that I missed something again, if so, then please send me back
with another polite RTFM ;-)

Or isn't it possible to manipulate data on harddisks from within Open
Firmware? It should be, as I saw read and write as "words" for my
harddisk device and even "initdevice", but I couldn't find documentation
on how to use them.

I have not given up yet, and I'm ready to read a lot more Documentation, if
you think it's necessary.

thx
florian

--
     Florian Friesdorf <42ff@gmx.net>
OpenPGP key available on public key servers

------> Save the future of Open Source <------
-> Online-Petition against Software Patents <-
------> http://petition.eurolinux.org <-------