Re: new ibook - potato 2.2r4 - image not found

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 12:49:42AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 06:27:46AM +0100, Florian Friesdorf wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I tried to install linux on my new ibook. But I got an error message:
> > '
> > Welcome to yaboot version 0.9
> > Wrong partition 1 signature
> > Config file read, 528 bytes
> > Debian GNU/Linux PowerPC (potato)
> > boot:
> > Wrong partition 1 signature
> >
> > Image not found.... try again
> > WARNING ! default_close called !
> > '
> > I already searched the internet - but couldn't find anything useful.
>
> great. someone fucked over r4 CD building for powerpc.

That's the CD I'm using:

flo@mira:/mnt/a$ ls -l install/powermac/
total 7501
-r--r--r--    1 root     root      1474560  6. Nov 18:37 boot-floppy-hfs.img
-r--r--r--    1 root     root        67592  6. Nov 18:37 bootvars1.3b.sit.hqx
-r--r--r--    1 root     root      1786964  6. Nov 18:37 BootX_1.2.2.sit
-r--r--r--    1 root     root          251  6. Nov 18:37 ofboot.b
-r--r--r--    1 root     root      1474560  6. Nov 18:37 root.bin
-r--r--r--    1 root     root          430  6. Nov 18:53 TRANS.TBL
-r--r--r--    1 root     root      2815399  6. Nov 18:37 vmlinux
-r--r--r--    1 root     root        58556  8. Mär 2001  yaboot
-r--r--r--    1 root     root          528  6. Nov 18:37 yaboot.conf

flo@mira:/mnt/a$ cat install/powermac/yaboot.conf
## This yaboot.conf is for CD booting only, do not use as reference.
## Debian GNU/Linux PowerPC (potato)

init-message="Debian GNU/Linux PowerPC (potato)"

# It is important not to have a comma after cd:
device=cd:
timeout=100

image=/install/powermac/vmlinux
        label=debian
        initrd=/install/powermac/root.bin
        initrd-size=8192
        read-only

# some machines have wonky framebuffer support
image=/install/powermac/vmlinux
        label=debian-novideo
        initrd=/install/powermac/root.bin
        initrd-size=8192
        append="video=ofonly"
        read-only

> > Another strange thing is, that after Installing MacOS X I cannot boot
> > anything. MacOS 9 and MacOS X, and also their install CDs hang during
> > boot phase. They stopped nearly at the end of the progress bar.
>
> OSX is a Trojan Horse, it looks like something useful, but in reality
> it just renders your box either unbootable, or hideously slow.
>
> > I used the partition tool from the MacOS 9 Install CD to create 3
> > Partitions (MacOS 9, MacOS X, Linux dummy).
>
> the linux one needs to be first, not last, rtfm:
> penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.shtml
>
> > Others reported, there are a lot of partitions belonging to Open
> > Firmware. I could only see my newly created 3 partitions - hmmm.
>
> no partitions belong to OF except for Apple_Bootstrap.  all that
> Apple_Driver crap belongs to the CruftOS, not OF.
>
> blaming OF for those is an insult to OF.

Sorry!

> > Now, I have a new ibook, but nothing is working on it. And I do nearly
> > know nothing about powerpc hardware. - So please help.
> > references to documentation would also be fine.
>
> penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/

After reading penguinppc.org/projects/yaboot/doc/ and your mail, I think
OSX is guilty. Before all this started, I created 3 HFS+ partitions (I
know that was wrong) and OSX made something not so funny of it.
Now all the MacOSs are not able to boot anymore, even the install CDs,
and my only chance is to solve this from the linux side.

Until now, I couldn't manage to boot linux on my ibook (see above).
I'll try to find (or build) a working boot cd, from which I can use
mac-fdisk to hopefully clear out confusing partitions.

thanks so far
florian

--
     Florian Friesdorf <42ff@gmx.net>
OpenPGP key available on public key servers

------> Save the future of Open Source <------
-> Online-Petition against Software Patents <-
------> http://petition.eurolinux.org <-------