docs on compiling kernels for miboot?

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone will know of some miboot/kernel docs that I haven't
managed to uncover.

The short story is that I need to know what sort of kernel images to
build for booting with miboot.  Should I tell make-kpkg "--zimage" or
"--bzimage" and either way, which image file in the resulting package
should I use?  Or is there a better way?  So far I've only played with
2.2.x kernels but if it's different for 2.4.x I'd appreciate knowing.

Here's more detail on my situation and what I've tried.  Please let me
know if I've got myself confused or there is a better way.

I've got a basic potato system (r0 since that's the CD I have) on an
oldworld PCI powermac (Power Computing PowerCenter Pro, 7200ish I
think).  The PCI SCSI card (AHA2930BU) doesn't have a bootable OF driver
("words" in OF doesn't list "open").  So booting with quik is out, I've
got to use the Apple ROM.  I don't care to use MacOS so miboot seemed
the way to go over BootX.  So I have a small HFS partition with the
miboot System and Finder, as well as kernels and configs, etc. mounted
at /boot.

I'm basically happy with how this works but installing kernel-image
packages is a nogo since they attempt to create symlinks in /boot, which
hfs is not happy with.  The "image_in_boot=1", "do_symlink=0", and
"no_symlink=1" options in /etc/kernel-{img|pkg}.conf don't fix this
since those options don't symlink the kernel image but still create
symlinks for the configs (and System.maps?).  So I can't install kernels
the Debian way, but I can build kernel-image packages the Debian way and
then do violence to them by just extracting the files by hand.

Cheers,  Josh