openfirmware display

I have been trying to get X11 running on my new Mac.
It seems the Nvidia card that came with it is not yet
supported and the framebuffer is using the open firmware
video somehow.  I've got X to work however, the colormap
is all wrong and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it.
fbset says I have a 24 8/8/8/0 display, but X will only
run in 8 bit mode.  I have to get the framebuffer in
8 bit mode or get X in 24.  When I set X for 24 bit I
get no valid modes found type Errors.  Does anyone
know how to fix  or a workaround?

Fred