Re: Save trackpad settings during sleep

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 11:56:25AM +0200, Michel Lanners wrote:

> On my TiBook, BenH' 2.4.5-pre kernel reprobes all ADB devices after
> wakeup. This, I think, is not new; what's changed is the fact that the
> rescan is not done inline in the wakeup code path, but rather a kernel
> thread is started that does the probe. Wakeup is faster, since we don't
> block on the ADB probe.

Right.  And pmud currently is expecting the old behavior, ie when it's called
things have been set up.  Sound right?

> Which in turn means that it is now possible for other post-wakeup code
> to be run _before_ the ADB probe task is through with the bus fiddling.
> I guess that's what Tom's hitting here.

Right.

> > I don't think the kernel 'resets' the device, it justs initiates a bus
> > reset and that brings all devices to the powerup defaults.
>
> Probably the ADB bus is powered down during sleep; so you need to
> restart it from scratch after wakeup-- no different than at system
> startup. Which means that in a perfect world, there should be a way for
> the kernel to ask for configuration after ADB is up; be it at system
> startup or after wakeup.

You mean sort of like calling /sbin/hotplug when we have a 'new' ADB device?

> By the way, Tom, how are you configuring the trackpad on boot?

By hand right now.  I was almost thinking of making a small init.d script
and reading from /etc/defaults/trackpad or something like that...

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/