Re: Buildd Failures Update

Stephen R Marenka <stephen@marenka.net> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 03:29:42PM -0500, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:
>
> > Doh.  I was hoping that the autobuilder ran with DH_VERBOSE set to
> > something so that problems with the tools that the dh scripts call would
> > be logged (guess not, though).  Any idea why that isn't done?  If it was
> > never asked for in the past, consider it asked for now :-P
>
> Something for Dan to consider. It would make the logs bigger, but so
> what -- none of them are all that big.

Err, you've clearly not looked at (or had sent to your inbox) the
build logs for, err, let's see, xfree86, mozilla*, atlas, gsl,
gwydion-dylan or glibc.  (Off the top of my head, there's probably
better and/or more examples)

IMNSHO mucking with DH_VERBOSE isn't a good idea, it would help in an
utterly tiny number of corner cases where things break but nothing
that a rerun of the problematic package wouldn't normally achieve.
The cost would be purposelessly (99.9% of the time) bloated logs
making them even harder to parse for the buildd maintainer.

--
James