Re: Switching to 2.4.12 found ADB keycodes (long)

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 06:03:28PM +0100, Michel D?nzer wrote:

> Chris, a very good summary, thanks! A few minor comments:
>
> On Sat, 2001-11-24 at 16:16, Chris Tillman wrote:
>
> > Here's what happened: to pull powerpc into the linux mainstream and
> > eliminate present and future conflicts, woody's console-data package
> > was changed to install linux keycode maps instead of ADB keycode maps
> > (which used to be the norm for powerpc kernels).
>
> The ADB keymaps are still there for those who know what they're doing,
> but only those for Linux keycodes are presented in the arch list and
> officially supported.

So,

was changed to present linux keycode maps for installation instead of
ADB keycode maps (which used to be the norm for powerpc kernels). The
ADB maps are no longer officially supported.

?

> > The installation system's kernel was changed to follow that path, so
> > the new installation kernel uses linux keycodes, not ADB
> > keycodes. That is a permanent change; a kernel compiled without
> > support for ADB keycodes is unable to use ADB keymaps. All kernels are
> > able to use linux keycodes - it's 'native'.
>
> That's not entirely correct. Linux keycodes are a feature of the 'New
> Input Layer', which is set to become the standard for all input devices
> on all architectures during 2.5, but so far it's only used for some
> devices on some architectures.

and

support for ADB keycodes is unable to use ADB keymaps. Linux keycodes
are a feature of the 'New Input Layer', which is set to become the
standard for all input devices on all architectures during the 2.5
kernel version cycle.

?

> I have a few ideas to further reduce the potential for breakage:
>
> - include keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1 in default and example yaboot
>   configs, in particular the one generated during installation

Sounds like a good idea for boot-floppies, maybe a commented out one
upstream, since it could break existing setups. 'Course, they
shouldn't be using a default installation on an upgrade...

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |