Re: Switching to 2.4.12 found ADB keycodes (long)

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 04:18:10AM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> Chris Tillman <tillman@azstarnet.com> writes:
>
> > I was trying to track down a crashing bug, and decided to try the
> > system with the 2.4.12 kernel from kernel-image-2.4.12-powerpc. I
> > did apt-get on that package (and kernel-source / kernel-patch for
> > good measure). There were no bad messages during the installation. I
> > looked at the stuff that was put into /usr/doc for these packages,
> > but I couldn't find anything that described how to properly install
> > the new kernel.
>
> "dpkg -i" is the correct way.

So, apt-get install would end up running that, no?

> Chris, your document looks good.  You might also mention that you can
> ssh into the box and 'echo 1 > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes'.

OK, that sounds like a good option.

> As for running dpkg-reconfigure upon reboot, there are a few problems.
> Firstly, it wouldn't fix existing kernel .debs.  Secondly, it is
> unexpected; what if you are remotely upgrading the kernel?  Thirdly,
> the best solution is probably user education...

OK, 3 strikes, yer... How about something in the kernel-image postinst
that checks the current mac_hid vs. the new kernel for matching
ADB-ness and just prints a warning?

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |