XFS Root

I am trying to get an XFS partition to act as my root on my TiBook, and
I am having problems.

Here is my partition set up:
hd:9 - 1MB HFS Bootstrap
hd:10 - 100MB Ext2 (for kernels and anything else needed
        by yaboot, to get things going)
hd:11 - 3GB XFS partition, plan to use as /
hd:12 - 9GB EXT2 partition, currently bootable, plan to change to
        XFS and use as /home

I can boot with hd:11 as root, but only by specifying /dev/hda12 as root
in yaboot, and having the fstab on 12 list 11 as the root partition.

When I boot to /dev/hda11, everything seems to work, but the filesystem
comes up as read only.

Any ideas?

Gregory