Off-Center Screen on iMacDV

I've just installed Debian (potato) and it seems that all is well... except a few minor issues, and this is the most irritating one: When in the bash shell (not an X terminal; haven't figured out how to set up and get X running yet), the output to the screen seems to be slightly off center: the first half letter or maybe the first whole letter of my shell prompt is drawn off screen, and the higher you go towards the top of the screen, the more of that letter appears. This means that the lines of text at the very top of my screen are fine. To the right of my screen, from the subtle differences of shades of black, I can tell that there is ample space for the screen output to be moved.... but I have no idea how. I have a bad feeling I'll need to recompile the kernel... Any suggestions?

Paul