Re: iBook (firewire) backlight

Kin Chung wrote:

> Machine: iBook 366 FW
> Kernel:  linux 2.4.4-pre4 (benh)
> glibc:   2.1.3-17 with 2.4.4-pre4 headers*
>
> I am having trouble getting Debian to control the backlight.
> The "backlight" program (both the potato distribution and the
> pmud 7.2 version) does nothing, and neither does fblevel.
> It does not seem to matter if I have pmud installed or not.
> Am I missing something or do I need to use a more recent
> kernel?

Do you have CONFIG_PMAC_BACKLIGHT enabled in your .config? I get:

daenzer@pismo> dmesg|grep -i backlight                                     ~
Registered "ati" backlight controller, level: 15/15

> I would prefer not using a more recent kernel as that would
> likely require rebuilding glibc with new headers.

While I fail to see why that should be necessary, I'm pretty sure you don't
have to upgrade your kernel; backlight control has been working for me for a
long time.