serial mouse on older pmac?

Hej,

I'm having debian 2.2r3 installed on a powerbook 2400c,
featuring a lot of applications like gimp and xfig...
however, it's quite a mess to use these applications
since they heavily depend on three-button-mice configurations.

The solution of having the 2nd and 3rd button emulated
by keyboard is not very practical; thus I was wondering
if it is possible to have a PC serial mouse attached to
the laptops serial port and configure it as on a PC.

Does anyone ever have tried this? Does anyone know if
the mouse requires a PC serial port (rs232) or if it
works on macs (rs???) as well? are the drivers for
gpm and (most importantly) X compiled-in (or left out
due to "improbable config")?

thanks a lot, bye
Philipp Kaeser / furball@space.ch