Re: More sound strangeness

> Apple hardware is different, there is no speaker dedicated only to
> beeping, thus the system beep must go through the sound hardware.

This would make sense, except that I have experienced two different problems
with my sound since upgrading...the first one is that when I start up KDE I
get the flourish, but then no sound after that, except for the system beep.
The interesting part about this is that's how it was the first couple of
times I booted into Linux. Then, after a few boots, my sound played for
everything. So, my problem is solved.

But then, in the middle of playing music, the sound just dropped out all
together, except for the system beep. I restarted the X server (because of
the kdm problem of my X-server crashing when I log out) and attempted to play
xmms, and this time xmms told me it couldn't find any sound hardware, or that
that there was a conflict. (IOW, a generic error message) I rebooted, and,
voila! --- sound. Go figure.

I also wonder if there's a way to get my G3/266 to init the sound hardware
without going completely into the Mac OS...

Russell