More sound strangeness

Hello, I upgraded to benh's 2.4.8-pre7 this morning, and now my sound only
partially works. I rsync'ed according to directions posted in another
message, and I did a "make oldconfig" to make sure everything stayed the
same.
What happens is I've got the system beep, but not the other sounds, like I
can't play my CD's anymore, and hear them...I know I had trouble with all the
modules and such before, so I followed all the various things I did before to
get sound to work and it doesn't work this time....

Scratching my head...

Russell