Audio on the Pismo

Hi

I know this is a topic that has been covered, so sorry.

I installed debianppc on my laptop (Pismo500) and I can get the sound to
work, but just with mp3s. Keep reading before you say you're tired of this
topic ;)

The thing is: I tried all the hints that I got from this list: I used xmms
with the xmms-cdread plugin. I recompiled the kernel (now I have 2.4.8)
and I tried also on the default one (2.2.19). I tried all the patches I
could find online to the kernel tree... and I still can't get it to work.

Would it be too much to ask for a 'fool-proof' explanation from someone
that got it to work.

Thanx

Benja