Re: Questions about notebooks and Debian

hej,

Okay. This might also be relevant for the benchmark speed compare
thread we had earlier (is my celeron faster than my G3?
[hint: there's more in the computer than the casse and the processor])

--- rant ---

> > With the standard (small) battery (20720 mWh), it lasts about 1.5 hour.
> > With the optional large battery (62160 mWh), it lasts about 4.5 hour.
> > Both at 550 MHz.
> Sure, but i guess you would halve that time with a 1GHz version, isn't it.

Sure. Because the harddisk spins twice as fast, the display is twice
as bright, the memory is twice as fast, the loss through warmth is twice
as big and of course the battery is still as bad. The speakers will
always play at twice the volume, the CD ROM is at twice the speed,
movies play double-size and you suddenly get a 200 Mbps ethernet.

not mentioning all the other funny parts that suddenly double their
efficiency and energy consumption when there's a processor having
twice the frequency.

Needless to say that of course the frequency correlates very much
directly to power consumption. Since Processor speed is "cycles per
second" you only need to replace "cycle" by "joule" (which most
obviously must be the same) in the physical formula and you get
power consumption as "energy per second".

--- end rant ---

please, no.

Philipp Kaeser