no gdm after logout?

Are there other folks on the list who have experienced the problem of gdm
not relaunching after logging out of a gnome session?  This has been a
persistant problem for me for a long time (at least since i was running
LinuxPPC R5).

gdm had actually been behaving fine for me recently, until I updated to
the 4.0.3 XFree86 that is currently in debian testing, at which point it
went back to its old tricks.

Essentially, the xserver seems to restart, but gdm doesn't leaving me
staring at the grey patterned X server default screen, with nothing
running.  If I switch to a console, I can drop to single user mode and
then back to my usual run level to get gdm to come back, but it is a pain
in the neck.

I've looked in /var/log/gdm/:0.log, but there doesn't appear to be any
unual messages in there as to why gdm might have failed.

Has anybody else seen this behavior?

-raf