Re: Questions about notebooks and Debian

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 09:36:05AM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Sven wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 01:08:00AM -0300, Peter Cordes wrote:
> > >  Battery tech is getting pretty good.  My friend got a 1GHz PIII
> > > laptop with 512MB RAM, and he says the battery lasts 3-4 hours IIRC.
> > > I asked him how toasty it got, and he said it wasn't very nice holding
> > > it in his lap...
> >
> > Sure, but was the processor actively working ? and what kind of battery does it have. I guess
> > it was magnitudes higher that the one in the ibook, which only has a 42 Watt/hour battery
> > (which makes it use ~ 8Watts/hour, there is noway you can achieve that on a i386 box.)
> >
> > Anyway, you can't forget that the G3 eats less that 5W of power, while the 1Gz PIII
> > want around 15-20Watts, i think, that is when it is not being downstepped to run ~300MHz
> > or such. And the duron case is worse, since it wants around 25-30Watts.
>
> My Sony VAIO Z600TEK has a 550/700 MHz Mobile Pentium III.
>
> With the standard (small) battery (20720 mWh), it lasts about 1.5 hour.
> With the optional large battery (62160 mWh), it lasts about 4.5 hour.
> Both at 550 MHz.

Sure, but i guess you would halve that time with a 1GHz version, isn't it.

And anyway, the PIII are much less powerhugnry than the durons, especially if
the notebook maker did put some desktop durons indeed, instead of the mobile version.

Friendly,

Sven Luther