Re: Questions about notebooks and Debian

Noah John wrote:

the ibook is definatly a good purchase. from what i gather, some sound still doesn't work. However, what i really meant to say was:
G3 500 MHz vs. i386.
is about an 800-933 MHz P3
is about a 733 MHz Athlon or P4
is about a GHz celeron (celeron has no b-side cache).

You certainly have benchmarks to prove that ?
The G3 in the iBook has only 128k of L2 cache, and it is slower than my iMac G3 400 (which has 512k of this same cache).

If you want a powerhorse of a laptop, get a TiBook, or an x86 laptop. The x86 will give you a crappy architecture, and not much battery life.

In the end the iBook's performances are more than enough for playing mp3s, playing quake3 in macos, do hacking, and a bit of GIMPing. DVD playback should be possible if we get a version of libmpeg2 that's a tad bit faster.

*however* it must be realised that it is immpossible and even foolish to compare MHz values between these architectures, since ppc is a RISC (reduced instruction set computing) as opposed to CISC (complex instruction set computing) i386s.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net