Just how stable IS Debian PPC

Hi,
    I am getting Debian PPC, from a guy on the net, but I was wondering how
stable is it?  I have an iMac DVSE, and was wondering, before I get it, will
it work?  I have had bad experiences with SuSE 7.0, where when I reboot or
shutdown I get a gray screen, and have to re-install.  I want to be able to
TOTALLY erase MacOS 9.1 with Debian, does this mean I might need the open
firmware update before I get debian?  My computer was bought in summer of
2000.

I can't wait to install Debian, because I play Netrek on x86, and this way I
could play netrek against a friend, because this person is sending x86
Debian as well as PPC.  :-)

Cheers,
Patrick

--