Re: RFC: What should be done about kernel-image's bootloader questions

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 03:32:44PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:

> > > Because only 3 person had the NDA and the access of not well done docs for it,
> > > from which, i think only 1 is still actively working on apus, the hardward
> > > company that made the boards went bankrupt some time ago and disapeared, and
> > > other such stuff. So it is difficult for someone else to take this over.
> >
> > If this isn't an argument that firmware needs to be Free in the Free
> > Software sense i don't know what is.
>
> Sure, but until there is someone who writes open firmware for it, we have to
> make do with what exists, and that is an amigaOS written boot loader.

well i stand by my statement of its been done once, it can be done
again.  there is a thing called reverse engineering.

but the next time someone tries to tell you proprietary firmware is
ok, there is no need for freedom there, tell them this story.

Apple's broken OpenFirmware implemenations is another good example.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/