Re: booting 2.2r3 in a pismo

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 09:11:17AM -0400, johnathan spectre wrote:

> I am trying to install Debian LinuxPPC 2.2r3 on my pismo and am having
> trouble, was wondering if anyone here had suggestions. When I try to boot
> Disc 1 it boots up to yaboot, gives me a few lines of text and then just
> sits there. One message I get that looks like an error is "wrong partition 1
> signature" which occurs before and after the yaboot prompt. After hitting
> return (or typing debian and hitting return) I get some text where it looks
> like it's finding the device for the ATI video and then

the `wrong partition 1 signature' is not an error, its a completly
harmless warning.  its totally normal on CD boots.

> calling quiesce
> booting...
>
> and then it hangs (sorry I don't have the exact text, can't take a screen
> shot).

i would suggest getting debian CDs.  potato r3 will boot on a pismo.
we don't support linuxppc's broken distribution here.

> any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. is it possible my CD
> is somehow bad, not sure what that "wrong partition 1 signature" message is
> referring to.

no that message is just yaboot being anal about the partition table
which is always rather bogus on CDs.  it doesn't matter its normal.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/