Re: switching to linux keycodes in woody

Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:

> I am wondering if there is any reason we should not switch woody to
> use linux keycodes by default and finally abandon the adb keycodes?

If this means that on my German keyboard I have to type special
characters such as { } [ ] \ | etc with the Intel key mapping rather
than the Mac mapping, then I'm strongly against this.

For example, on a German Mac keyboard [ and ] is at option-5 and
option-6, respectively.  On the Intel keyboard they are at AltGr-8 and
AltGr-9.  This is the reason why I didn't switch to Linux keycodes
myself yet.

As far as I can tell, this problem could only be solved by continuing to
provide separate keymaps for Intel and Mac, at least for non-US
keyboards.

--
Stefan Haller
Berlin, Germany