Re: kaffe only for i386?

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 06:16:39PM +0000, Cameron Berkenpas wrote:

> I used to work for Transvirtual, the firm responsibly for kaffe. I
> personally, several times, asedk them about PowerPC support. They
> seemed interested, but whenever I tried mentioning we should get some Macs
> for development, they lost interest.

I'm a core team member of Kaffe (kaffe.org).

Even if Transvirtual had released there Custom Edition to open source
last summer (tvt-kaffe), Open Edition (kaffe.org) is not dead and
Debian use it.  Merge process of these two releases is not yet
started.  Last time I announce that I have start this process, TVT ask
me to delay this task as Peter is rewriting AWT subsystem (the first
part I want to merge).  For now, tvt-kaffe have improvements but
org-kaffe have too, as iconv(), Alpha JIT for OSF/1 (expect GNU/Linux
Alpha soon), PowerPC, Irix 6.4 (interpreter only), BigDecimal...

Tim and I expect a merge of tvt and org but it seems to me that TVT
are focused on PocketLinux :-(

Missing Kaffe for Debian PowerPC is more or less a Debian maintainer
attidute as kaffe-1.0.6 work on PowerPC with libffi.  And last summer,
one day after release, Kevin B. Hendricks submited a native PowerPC
version of syscallMethod to get ride of libffi.  Since then, Kaffe
works on GNU/Linux PowerPC.

BTW, did you see my mail on this list about instaling Mac OS X,
GNU/Linux and NetBSD on same iBook ?  Yes, I will switch from Intel to
PowerPC, with writing PowerPC JIT in mind :-)

tvt-kaffe vs org-kaffe is more or less like FreeBSD vs NetBSD :-)
--
Edouard G. Parmelan
http://egp.free.fr