xfree86 4.1.0-0pre1v1 for i386 at X Strike Force repository

Here's the first cut of 4.1.0.

MANIFEST files for architectures other than i386 have NOT yet been updated,
since I never know exactly what is going to build for a given architecture.
However, the file debian/403-to-410-MANIFEST-diff-for-i386 in the source
package may be a helpful guideline.

I have builds for SPARC and PowerPC in progress right now.  If you're the de
facto "X guy" for your architecture, please mail debian-x with any
questions/issues/patches (private mail is also okay, but I stand less of a
chance of losing it in debian-x and that list is low traffic of late anyway).

Let me also take this opportunity to thank all the people who made the
following possible:

     xlibs |    4.0.3-4 |      unstable | alpha, arm, hppa, i386, ia64, m68k, mips, powerpc, sparc

That's a very nice thing to see.  Unfortunately, not all architecture
patches applied well to the 4.1.0 sources, so there is some work cut out
for us; see debian/held-patches for the gory details.  I've updated my
patch numbering system; please see debian/README in the source package.

A kind of changelog follows.

xfree86 (4.1.0-0pre1v1) unstable; urgency=low

  * Thanks to those who have been patient.  No thanks to those who have been
    pestering me in private email.

  * This package is UNOFFICIAL.  DO NOT file bugs against it.

  * N.B.: Yes, I know some of the xfonts-* packages are now huge.  Something
    will be done about this before 4.1.0-1.  In the meantime, DON'T BOTHER ME
    ABOUT IT.

  * KNOWN ISSUES:
    + mkfontdir will howl about 3 fonts in xfonts-75dpi.  This is an upstream
      bug and has already been reported.  I don't want to hear about it.
    + xdm's postinst may complain "hostname: Unknown host"; this appears to be
      a bug in the hostname package (it no longer appears to recognize the -f
      option or any of its longoption synonyms).  If you see this behavior you
      may want to check the hostname package's bug list, and file a bug report
      if one hasn't been already.  Again, *I* don't want to hear about this
      one; it's not even in my package.

  * new upstream version
    noteworthy changes from a packaging perspective:
    + [xmh] Thought xmh was dead?  It lives again (*sigh*).  xmh binary,
      manpage, and app-defaults file are in the resurrected "xmh" package.
    + [xlibs] XKB data removed:
      - {keymap/sgi,symbols}/cs
      - symbols/cs_qwerty
      - symbols/czsk
      - symbols/gr
    + [xlibs] XKB data added:
      - symbols/by
      - {keymap/sgi,symbols}cz
      - {keymap/sgi,symbols}cz_qwerty
      - {keymap/sgi,symbols}sk
      - {keymap/sgi,symbols}sk_qwerty
      - symbols/el
      - symbols/hr
      - symbols/lv
      - types/extra
    + [xutils] SuperProbe has died; removed references to it
    + [xutils] fsinfo renamed to xfsinfo
    + [xutils] new utilities: ccmakedep, cleanlinks
    + [xbase-clients?] new utilities: dpsexec, dpsinfo, glxgears, texteroids,
        xftcache
    + [xlibs] new bitmaps: black6 and box6
    + [xlibs-dev] headers for highly experimental and unfinished XvMC
        extension; if you care about this, forget you read it because XvMC is
        NOT READY YET
    + [xbase-clients] new "Options" file for xf86cfg to play with
    + [xlibs-dev] new file "version.def"
    + [xspecs] most of these files have been renamed because upstream rejected
        my patch to give them IMO more sensible names
    + [xfree86-common] new document, README.dps, which describes the
        Display PostScript rendering extension for X
    + [xserver-xfree86] new document, README.rapidaccess, which describes a
        hacker's method of getting the extra buttons on IBM RapidAccess
        keyboards to work
    + [xfonts-100dpi]
      - latin2/ directory is now gone
      - more bitmapped versions of Adobe Utopia
    + [xfonts-75dpi]
      - latin2/ directory is now gone
      - more bitmapped versions of Adobe Utopia

  * included some fixes from xf-4_1-branch:
    + Add two missing symbols to loader reference for the glint driver
      (#4740, Mike Harris).
    + Fix glide driver that causes -configure to fail for all drivers
      (Alan Hourihane).
    + Fix broken TGA driver (Alan Hourihane).
    + Fix FIFO reset trouble in tdfx driver by lowering the FIFO size due to
      suspect code in Glide3. (Alan Hourihane).
    + Fix Xvideo in tdfx driver when using YUY2 or UYVY data (Alan Hourihane).
    + Fix problem in Ib/Xaw/AsciiSrc.c:nitStringOrFile() when descriptor 0
      is closed, as a zero return value from open(2) is taken as an error
      (splite at purdue.edu).
    + Add missing vbeFree symbol to mga driver (Alan Hourihane).

  * debian/{*.shlibs,shlibs.local}: bumped versioning to >> 4.1.0, and added
    libXmuu to xlibs.shlibs
  * debian/control:
    - dug xmh package out of grave; restored to hideous unlife
    - add references to dpsexec, dpsinfo, glxgears, and texteroids utilities
      in xbase-clients's description
    - remove reference to SuperProbe in xutils's description
    - add references to bdftruncate.pl, ccmakedep, cleanlinks, and ucs2any.pl
      in xutils's description
    - fsinfo renamed to xfsinfo, xutils's description updated accordingly
  * debian/copyright: updated
  * Contents of debian/patches almost completely overhauled.  Many of our
    changes are now upstream.  Things to note:
    + Numbering scheme has changed.  See debian/README.
    + Some architecture-specific patches had to be moved to held-patches
      because of large changes upstream.
  * debian/local/dexconf: a couple of cosmetic and stylistic changes
  * debian/xbase-clients.files:
    - add dpsexec, dpsinfo, glxgears, texteroids, and their manpages
    - ship Options file for xf86cfg
  * debian/xfree86-common.docs:
    - add README.dps document
    - add X.Org manpage
  * debian/xlibs.{conffiles,files}:
    - modified for added and removed XKB data files
    - ship two new bitmaps, black6 and box6
    - th_TH and zh_* localization files reorganized and renamed a little
      (see /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale for details)
    - new library; libXmuu, a version of Xmu that does not depend on Xt
      (shared version)
  * debian/xlibs-dev.files:
    - ship headers for XvMC extension (experimental work-in-progess)
    - ship new file version.def
    - new library; libXmuu, a version of Xmu that does not depend on Xt
      (static version)
  * debian/xlibmesa{3,-dev}.{files*,links}: upstream puts these libraries in
    /usr/X11R6/lib and my patch to fix it doesn't work anymore; work around
    the problem with symlinks from /usr/lib/libGL* into /usr/X11R6/lib
  * debian/xlibmesa3.files: add Radeon DRI module
  * debian/xmh.{conffiles,files,menu}: xmh lives again...
  * debian/xutils.files*:
    - remove SuperProbe and its manpage
    - renamed fsinfo to xfsinfo
  * debian/xserver-xfree86.config:
    - more paranoid checks for bad output from discover
    - if the vga driver is selected, set default mode list to only
      640x480, and set default depth to 4 (only affects these questions if
      they are not seen)
    - add vmware to i386 driver list
  * debian/xserver-xfree86.docs.*:
    - add README.rapidaccess document
  * debian/xserver-xfree86.files.*:
    - add 2 new encoding conversion modules: libBIG5HKSCS.a and libGBK.a
    - add vmware driver and its manpage [i386 only]
  * debian/xserver-xfree86.templates.gl: cleaned up some between-template
    whitespace that an old version of debconf shouldn't have cared about, but
    did

 -- Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>  Tue, 12 Jun 2001 03:39:52 +0000

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    The greatest productive force is human
Debian GNU/Linux                |    selfishness.