Re: pcmcia ethernet?

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 02:58:10PM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> "Bradley C. Midgley" wrote:
> >
> > are there any known working methods to do pcmcia ethernet?
> >
> > as i plugged an ethernet cable to my powerbook recently, i felt a static
> > shock. now ethernet fails to work (the hub carrier light briefly blinks
>
> Yaow.  That sucks.
>
> Pcmcia ethernet works fine.  Just get a card.  I think the tulip
> based cards work pretty good.  A buddy of mine uses the Linksys
> cardbus 10/100 in his powerbook (don't know which one, it's a G3
> though) IIRC, and the Debian pcmcia packages are pretty up to date
> with the latest drivers and whatnot.

The older Linksys cards work reasonably well, but not the newer ones.
(despite claims on their web site to the contrary).  I have two revs of
their PCMC100 (v2 & v3) and the newer one does not work, and the do not
return either my phone calls nor email messages about it.

It seems that they haven't updated their web pages since the v1->v2 rev,
and aren't interested in supporting linux users, even those willing to
_write_ the drivers.

So don't buy a new one...

I'd check the listing at http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS
for compatability before buying anything.

Jon Leonard