pcmcia ethernet?

are there any known working methods to do pcmcia ethernet?

as i plugged an ethernet cable to my powerbook recently, i felt a static
shock. now ethernet fails to work (the hub carrier light briefly blinks
now when before it would have turned on solid and remained on)

repairs are expensive for these things (g3/333 bronze) so i was hoping to
use a pcmcia ethernet card. i installed the pcmcia_cs package and made
modules from the 2.4.3 kernel for pcmcia ethernet but my machine hangs
when i plug in a card (3com megahertz 3cce574bt but i could easily get a
different card)

--
bcmidgle@sanluis.uccs.edu
Brad Midgley