Re: p-server 640 debian install questions

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 07:26:58PM -0400, Rahul Jain wrote:
> >
> > I have a p-server 640 at work that I'm trying to install debian on.
> > It _seems_ to be CHRP, but OF has info about prep too, so I don't know...

The p640 is a CHRP box. Well mostly. These boxes do run linux, they run it
rather well!

Debian probably won't work tho, especially if they still have the cache line bug
in their glibc.

> > The hardware:
> > 2 375 MHz POWER3 CPUs
> > an eepro100 connected to the network
> > a matrox g200
> > 2 18GB SCSI hard disks
> > a SCSI CDROM drive
> > _no_ floppy drive

Yup, sounds good.

> > The current software:
> > SuSE 7.1 booting via yaboot (installed with lilo??)
>
> lilo in this case is suse's reinvention of ybin.  ybin supports the
> raw bootstrap partition chrp machines use, read the man page.
>
> > The desired software:
> > debian unstable running kernel 2.4.5(-xfs)
> >
> > The problem:
> > I can't figure out how to get it to boot off the debian cdrom.
> > at the of prompt, I've tried:
> > setenv boot-device cdrom  (cdrom is in devalias as /pci@.../scsi@11/sd@0,1 or
> >                            some such)
> > setenv boot-image /install/chrp/linux (also tried prep)
> > boot

Take a look at the file /ppc/bootinfo.txt on the 3rd cdrom. That's one key for
booting off of CD.

> > I get something like "no valid PReP image found". Am I supposed to use a
> > boot-image of \\yaboot?

You can boot a straight kernel zimage if you want... or yaboot works as well or
the file above that I just mentioned... so you can do something like

boot cdrom:,\zimage

boot cdrom:,\ppc\bootinfo.txt

etc etc

> \\yaboot is a Mac specific hack, it won't work on non-apple OF.  a
> yaboot binary is at /install/powermac/yaboot

We've been extended yaboot so it isn't mac specific anymore.

> im not sure if it works on non-macs the way its compiled though.

If you're getting it from benh, it should be fine.

Regards,

Tom

--
Tom Gall - PPC64 Maintainer      "Where's the ka-boom? There was
Linux Technology Center           supposed to be an earth